Melanie Roach and Jackie Berube are both vying for a spot on the 2008 Olympic team. There are 4 slots for the women. So, after competing in the American Open back in December, it was back to the squat rack less than 48 hours after competing. If you want to lift big weights, you have to lift big weights. Here are some interesting facts about these incredibly strong, powerful women:
1) Mel is 33. Jackie is 36.
2) Mel's best 1 RM back squat is 160 kg @ 54.5 kg bw.
3) Jackie has squatted 173kg (weighing in the low 60 kg range).
4) Mel has 3 kids, under the age of 8.
5) Jackie is finishing her Masters in biology, is an EMT and volunteers for a search and rescue team in CO.
6) Jackie holds all of the 58 kg American records.
7) Mel holds the American record of 113 kg C&J (53 kg), that in 1998, was briefly a world record. She is one of two American women to C&J double bodyweight.
8) They are terrific people.